The Advanced Fire Fighting (STCW) is a four-day training course for captains, mates, and marine engineers in the maritime sector focused on the organization of fire fighting on board.
The Advanced Fire Fighting (STCW) training teaches you skills to manage the fire crew and the communication that comes with it during a fire. The international STCW Convention sets legal requirements for the role of a seafarer. Every officer on board must be in possession of a valid Advanced Fire Fighting (AFF) certificate. This certificate is valid for five years.
This training is certified by the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate (ILT) under institute codes NL007.
Are you interested in this training? Use the ‘Book direct’ button to view the schedule and book the training.
The following components are covered in the Advanced Fire Fighting training:
- Division of tasks and responsibilities;
- Provide leadership (fire crew and overall leadership);
- Gathering information, assessing situations, making decisions;
- Cooperation with fire extinguishing organization on shore during a ship fire;
- Fire fighting with regard to hazardous substances;
- Techniques for optimal ventilation management;
- Latest developments with regard to fire extinguishing agents and technology;
- Analysis of incidents involving a fire on board ships;
- Use of general management and fire extinguishing team management and correct implementation of procedures;
- Maintenance management fire extinguishing and detection equipment;
On the first day, participants are expected to register at 7:45 am. The other training days start at 8.30 a.m. All training days will end around 4 p.m., provided that no additional training sessions or an inspection have been booked.
The training is given in English as a standard. On request, the training for groups can be organized in a different language. It is possible to hire an interpreter via STC-KNRM.
Participants must have:
- valid Basic Training certificate;
- valid medical examination
STC-KNRM can also arrange this medical examination for you.
Take the following items to the training (or send them to us by e-mail before the course):
- Sample book
- Medical certificate for seafarers (physical examination)
- (Copy of the) STCW BST certificate