The Ship Security Officer (STCW) training is a two-day training for officers who are designated by the shipping company as Ship Security Officer (SSO). In shipping, trade, hydraulic engineering or fishing, theft, piracy or terrorism can be encountered. That is why it is important that the SSO is well informed about the security of crew, cargo, and ship. During this training, participants learn to take care of both the security of the ship and the implementation and maintenance of the ship security plan. The SSO, in collaboration with the CSO, will ensure the safety awareness of the crew on board. The course meets the requirements set in the STCW (section A VI / 5) and is structured according to the IMO model course 3.19.
This course is certified by the Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate (ILT) under institute code NL007.
- ISPS regulations
- implementation of a ship security plan
- awareness of security and vigilance
- security organization and company policy
- access and emergency exits of the ship
- ship – shore / port facility / DoS communication
- security systems
- security surveys
- risk assessment
- contingency planning
Training and exercises on board.
On the first day, the participants are expected at 8.15 am for registration. The second training day starts at 8.30 a.m. All training days will end around 4 p.m., provided that no additional training sessions or an inspection have been booked.
The training is given in Dutch as standard. On request, the training for groups can be organized in a different language. It is possible to hire an interpreter via STC-KNRM.
Following on from the Ship Security Officer (STCW) the following can be additionally booked:
- Medical examination.
The additional options can be selected in step 3 of the booking form.
- Function: waiting officer (Marof, Stuurman or WTK) on ships> 500 GT / 750 kW
- Good knowledge of the English language
- Minimum of 18 years
- Sailing time of at least 12 months or a demonstrable knowledge in ship operations
- with a positive assessment of the final test, you will receive the official (ILT / Shipping approved) STCW certificate
- The training is stamped in your sample book
- for participation without prior training and sailing time, you will only receive a certificate of participation.
Take the following items to the training:
- Sample book